Yield: 12 Donuts and their centers
1 cup flour 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour 1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1 T. butter, melted
1 t. baking powder 1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. salt canola or peanut oil for deep-frying
1 egg Coconut Pecan Glaze, as follows
1. In a bowl sift together both flours, cocoa, baking powder & salt set aside. Beat together on low-speed egg & sugar until creamy and pale. Add buttermilk, butter, vanilla until well blended & smooth. Still beating on low-speed, add the flour mixture, beat until dough is formed into a soft dough. Cover & chill for @ least 30 minutes – 1 hr.
2. Line a baking pan with paper towels. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a deep-fryer or deep heavy saucepan and warm over medium high heat until it reads 360 F on a deep-frying thermometer.
3. Flour work surface, roll out the dough into a 10″ circle, 1/2 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2″ round donut cutter, cut out as many donuts as possible. Gather the donuts scraps and repeat rolling & cutting.
4. Carefully lower the donuts or centers into hot oil and deep-fry until dark brown and crusty on the first side, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn over and cook until dark brown and crusty on the second side, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to a paper-lined pan. Repeat with the remaining donuts & centers, allowing the oil to return to 360 F between batches. When donuts and holes are cooled, spread with coconut-pecan glaze, set slightly about 10-15 minutes.
1/2 cup evaporated milk 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup superfine sugar 1/2 cup flaked coconuts
1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 t. water 1 t. vanilla extract
4 T. (1/2 stick) butter
– Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolk, and butter in a heavy-bottom pot over medium heat and stir until thick, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pecans, coconut, and vanilla. Continue to stir until the frosting cools, then spread 1 tablespoon or more onto each donut. Serve & Enjoy!