Yield: 15 donuts & holes
3/4c. milk 2 large eggs
3 T. butter 1/2 t. vanilla
3 1/4 c. flour Canola or peanut oil
1/2 c. light brown sugar Caramel glaze
1 t. cinnamon 1 1/4 c. toasted pecans
1/2 t. salt 1/2 t. sea salt or kosher salt
1 pkg. ( 2 1/2 t.) quick-rise yeast
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk & butter, stirring until the butter melts & the mixture is hot but not boiling (about 125 F on an instant-read thermometer). Remove from heat
2. In a mixing bowl, combine 2 1/2 c. of the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, & yeast, beat on low-speed to mix. Add the hot milk mixture, raise the speed to medium, beat until well blended & smooth. Add the eggs & vanilla beat for about 2 minutes. Add the 3/4 c. flour & beat until smooth, about 1 minute longer. The dough will not pull away from the sides of the bowl & will still be somewhat sticky, but your finger should come out clean when you insert it into the center.
3. Scrape the dough into a large bowl & cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel. Let stand until well risen & increased in bulk ( it will double in size about 45 minutes).
4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper & brush with oil. Line a second baking sheet with paper towels.
5. On a generously floured work surface, roll out the dough into a circle 10 inches & 1/2 inch thick. using a 3-inch round donut cutter, cut out as many donuts as possible. Transfer the donuts & holes to the oiled paper, gather the scrapes repeat rolling & cutting. Cover the donuts & holes with a clean kitchen towel & let rise until soft & puffy, about 30 minutes.
6. Pour oil in-depth of 2 inches into a deep-fryer or deep, heavy saute pan & warm over medium-high heat until it reads 360 on a deep-frying thermometer. Carefully lower 2-5 donuts or holes in the oil until dark golden color, 1 1/2 mins. Turn over & cover until dark golden on the second side about 1 min. longer. Transfer to towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining donuts & holes allowing the oil to return to 360 F between batches.
Caramel Glaze Yield: 2 cups stays fresh for 2 days refrigerated
3/4 c. heavy cream 1/2 t. salt
1 c. + 2 T. light brown sugar 1 t. salt
3 T. light corn syrup 1 t. vanilla
1. Combine the cream, brown sugar, & corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat stirring often, until the brown sugar is dissolved & the mixture is smooth. Raise the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, & cook stirring constantly for 2 mins. Remove from heat & stir in the salt & vanilla. Set aside & let cool @ room temperature; until glaze thickens. If the glaze is cold; reheat gently over low heat just until soft enough to spread.
2. Using a thin metal spatula spread the warm caramel glaze over the donut & gently sprinkle & press the pecans onto the doughnut, then shake off any loose pecans. Sprinkle with salt serve right away.