These two bite pies are delicious when served warm and served with whipped cream after a romantic meal with a loved one. They also make wonderful gifts for your best friends or co-workers at work.
Yield: 24 mini muffin size pies
1 1/2 cups of strawberries 2/3 quantity of butter dough
1 t. cornstarch 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 T. water
2 T. strawberry jelly or jam superfine sugar for sprinkling
2 lime, zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly greased a 24 mini muffin pan.
2. Coarsely chopped the strawberries. Place them in a bowl and stir in the cornstarch, jelly or jam and zest.
3. Roll half of the pie dough out thinly on a lightly floured surface. Using a fluted plain round cookie cutter cut out 24 circles, each 2 1/2″. Press them gently into the prepared pan, re-roll the trimmings as needed.
4. Brush the top edges with the egg wash, then spoon in 1 1/2 t. of filling.
5. Roll out the reserved pie dough out thinly on a lightly floured surface, cut out 24 2″ circles each, re-roll the trimmings as needed. Use a 1- 2″ heart shape cookie cutter for the tops or center of the dough so steam can escape. Use the circles as lids, pressing the edges together or the hearts as lids with pressing the edges together. Brush egg wash over the pies, sprinkle with superfine sugar.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes, loosen with knife along the sides then transfer onto the cooling rack. Whip 1 cup of whipped cream until it form soft peaks fold in 2 T. lime zest and 2 T. confectioners sugar. Serve and Enjoy!
Pie dough recipe can be found in the pie and tart category.