Our childhood treat is going to be around for a very long time. For the past 5 years Food Network have been featuring “Cupcake Wars” where ametuer and professional bakers compete for $10,000. But in order to win, they had to chose outrageous ingedients from the judges table that should never be baked inside of any cupcakes; ingredients like wasabi, chicken, avocado, plantain, figs, lavender, tomatoes, and etc.
Cupcakes have become a staple to every household around the world. This special treat is going to be around forever!! In this post I wanted to do something a little different, I just didn’t want to bake a cake inside of a sugar cone, then topped it off with ice cream, whip cream, and maraschino cherry on top. This frozen fruit cupcake is made with fresh, ripe, sweet, fruits. A very light and refreshing dessert that will cleanse the palate.
Yield: 12 servings
1 small lemon
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 c sugar
1/8 t. salt (pinch)
2 cups assorted fresh fruits (halved strawberries, chopped peachs, chopped nectarines, blueberries, or raspberries.
Garnish: Lemon Leaves halved strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and nectarine wedges or peache wedges
1. Line a standard muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl grate peel from lemon. Add buttermilk, sugar, and salt; with a wire whisk, mix until blended. Gently stir in 1 1/4 cups fruit.
3. Spoon mixture into cupcake liners top with remaining 3/4 cup fruit (some fruit will stay above mixture for pretty color).
4. Cover; freeze unitl firm, about 3 hours.
5. Peel off paper baking cups from dessert.
6. Let stand at room temperature 10 – 15 minutes to soften slightly for easier eating.
Kitchen Tips: if you don’t have buttermilk on hand pour in a measuring cup 1 T. of lemon juice or white distilled vingear and then pour whole milk to equal 1 cup of buttermilk. Let stand for 10-20 minutes to mixture becomes thick, stir with a wire whisk before adding to the recipe.
I couldn’t find lemon leaves so I made it from fondant; I took white fondant and color it with Juniper green gel paste color. Roll it out and cut it with a leaf shape cutter, let it dry overnight, then dust it with spruce green color dust. Enjoy!