This brownie treat is very similar to a old time favorite candy bar: 100 grand bar. I prefer this one because it’s homemade and made with brownie layer. This is a deep rich brownie crust, with gooey caramel, rice crispy cereal for nice crunch, peanut butter marshmallow creme, then topped off the a thick layer of chocolate. Yum!
Yeild: 36 – 48 bars Prep: 50 minutes Chill 2 hours
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1 1/2 cup 14oz. bag vanilla caramel (64 pieces) unwrapped
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 T. H20
1 1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
1/3 cup butter
1 7 oz. marshmallow creme
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 12 oz. bag (2 cups) semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup whipping cream
3 T. butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 13 x 9 x 2″ baking pan w/ foil. Grease foil shiny side up w/ cooking spray. In a medium saucepan cook and stir unsweetened chocolate and the 1/2 cup butter over low heat until melted and smooth ( be careful do not burn it!); cool slightly.
2. Brownie Layer: stir in 1 cup of sugar into the chocolate mixture in the saucepan. Add eggs, one @ a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Stir in flour and baking soda just until well combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges start to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
3. Caramel Layer: In a medium size microwave bowl combine caramel with H20, and 2 T. evaporated milk. Microwave on 100% power (high) about 2 1/2 – 3 minutes or until caramel are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in rice cereal. Spread caramel mixture over brownie layer, spreading to the edges. Set pan in the freezer while preparing the nougat layer.
4. Nougat Layer: In a medium bowl combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups of sugar, the remaining evaporated milk, and the 1/3 cup butter. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, reduce heat to medium. Boil moderate, steady rate without stirring for 10 minutes. Meanwhile place the marshmallow creme and peanut butter to a medium heat proof bowl. Be careful – Gradually whisk the hot mixture into the peanut butter & marshmallow creme, until combined. Pour the peanut butter mixture over caramel layer, spreading to edges. Place pan in the freezer while preparing the chocolate layer.
5. Chocolate Layer: In a small saucepan cook and stir chocolate chips, whipping cream, & 3 T. butter over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over nougat layer, spreading to the edges, Cover loosely and chill for 2 hours. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut brownies out of pan. Cut into bars.
Kitchen Tip – You can add 1 cup of milk chocolate & 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips for a richer flavor.